- Better qualified caretakers would be willing to work there.
- Medical staff would have increased hours and better working conditions. For example, it is impossible for the psychiatrist to a competent professional job when paid for only two (2) hours per week.
- Supervisors could work more hours if paid more, to ensure better care.
- There can be qualified rehabilitation personnel and rehabilitation activities, instead of the "custodial" caretakers now used as "rehabilitation" staff.
- The Rehabilitation Program can be expanded and made more effective, e.g. adding speech therapy, occupation and physical therapy to help the residents with eating, dressing and personal hygiene. There could be singing, dancing and play therapy.
Approach: Construct and operate a "Solar Energy Residence and Rehabilitation Center." The objective is the attract visitors and tourists from Israel and abroad.
Income will be derived from:
- admission fees to view the solar energy structures and systems Incorporated in the building and to view the exhibit areas
- a cafeteria on the premises, open to the public, tourists and visitors
- donations from visitors and tourists
The building will also include additional residential quarters.
Method:Influence both philanthropists and manufacturers of systems and supplies for utilization of solar energy in buildings to finance construction of the residence and Rehabilitation Center.
The building will demonstrate how solar energy can be employed for heating, cooling, supplying electricity and improving the environment.
An enclosed roof-top swimming pool supplies heating for the living areas and is used in the rehabilitation program summer and winter. Electricity is supplied by a solar cell array. The walls and windows of the building will be designed to absorb and convey solar heat into the residential area. All systems used will be demonstrated as part of the public exhibition.
The cafeteria will not only be a source of income, but it will be part of the rehabilitation program. Residents capable of taking on chores and responsibilities will work there.
In the exhibition area, information about the sponsors will be exhibited, the manufacturers' names, descriptions of their products, systems etc.
It should be noted that today, despite, or maybe because of the international recession, the U.S. and other countries are still investing heavily in alternative energy sources. This is because of the need to reduce dependency on oil and to improve the environment.
The solar energy residence and rehabilitation center would be an attraction that would appeal to both manufacturers and philanthropists and would enable Elwyn to grow and become famous for its outstanding services to the Israeli Mentally Handicapped.